The government of the Punjab has taken the bold initiative to digitize police stations of 36 districts of Punjab. The Punjab Information Technology Board has done these efforts and the digitization will be conducted in all 712 police stations all over the province.
The new digitization system is inaugurated in Central Police office Lahore and Prime Minister of Pakistan, Nawaz Sharif, Chief Minister of Punjab, Shehbaz Sharif and IG Punjab attended the ceremony of digitization of the police stations.
Analog Record Keeping
Before the introduction of digitization in the police stations, the complaints and first information reports (FIRs) were maintained on analog files and records. This system made them hard to maintain the record, time consuming and tedious and it was also prone to the human errors. The prone to corruption means that the records could be accessed by anyone.
New System Details
The automated system with Criminal Record Offices will help to curtail this issue. The reforms are made for the police station, which are included:
- A computerized Complaint Management System
- Reception Rooms handled by IT literate receptionists
- Setting up of Police Record Management System which will improve security and accessibility of the data in case of a problem.
- A Criminal Record Management System will keep records of the criminals’ biometrics, physical appearance and a record of previous crimes. A “rap sheet” in other words. This system is connected with Tenant Registration System and Hotel Eye which will allow guests and hotel customers to be identified if they have a criminal record.
- An Operational Media Center will help police in monitoring the law and order situation and to take action, when a situation arises.
- The IGP Monitoring Cell to watch over IT related activities of the Punjab Police
- CCTV Camera monitoring of 5 cities under the Punjab Safe Cities Authority project
- IGP Complaint Center 8787
PITB and Punjab Police were appreciated due to the efforts made by Prime Minister and Chief Minister of Punjab and they said that police should help to eliminate negative image of the police and get rid of the thana culture. They also added that other provinces should take step and follow the example of Punjab police for the digitization and technological improvements.